|Institute||Vall d’Hebron Institute of Research (VHIR)|
Interested in discovering the landscape of Translational Medicine? Want to learn about the job profiles of scientists in Industry?
Then join the 2019 TMex winter school!
The TMex (“Translational Medicine Explained)” Winter School consists of an introductory e learning (~12 hours student investment time) followed by a 5-day face-to-face workshop. The course is intended for PhD students in the second half of their PhD and early postdocs who are involved in biomedical research.
The course is kindly supported by La Caixa Foundation and the Vall d’Hebron Research Institute (VHIR) and will be hosted in one of Barcelona’s great Catalan Modernisme gems: the Palau Macaya!
E-learning course October/ November 2019
Face-to-face course November 11 – 15, 2019
Palau Macaya, Passeig de Sant Joan 108, Barcelona, Spain
First come, first serve. Please submit your application documents here which will be reviewed by a selection committee. We will let you know whether you have been accepted within 14 days of your application. There are only 30 seats, so we recommend applying early. The registration will close on July 1st 2019.
Next edition of the course is expected November 2020 (Barcelona). If you want to be informed about TMex 2020, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list.
The fee of €450 includes the 5-day course, catering during the course, one dinner and the e-learning.
Are you a MSCA fellow? You can apply for a MCAA travel grant here
Confirmed faculty/ facilitator:
- Bob Harris, Professor Immunotherapy, Karolinska – Cycle of Multiple Sclerose in translational research
- Keith Williams, Director, KW Drug Developments – Drug Discovery game
- Mike Hardman, independent (formerly AstraZeneca) – Target Product Profile and crisis management session
- Dr. Denise Carvalho-Silva, Scientific Outreach Lead for Opentargets.org – Target identification with Open Targets
- Dr. Artur Palet, Roche diagnostics – Trends and new business models in diagnostic tools, in digital health, personalized medicine
- Martí Archs, Innovation Unit, VHIR – Innovation session Business Model Canvas
- Dr. Joaquin Sáez Peñataro, Clinical Pharmacologist and Spanish correspondent for ECRIN
- Dr. Marisol Montolio, Duchenne Parent Project – ‘From diagnosis to market: the patients driving research”
- Dr. Francina Munell, Paediatric Neurologist, Vall D’Hebron Research Institute – Novel therapeutic strategies in Pediatric Neuromusular disorders
- Anton Ussi, Operations & Finance Director, EATRIS – Critical success factors and Translational assessment
- Anne-Charlotte Fauvel, Head of EU affairs, EATRIS – Optimizing your research fundability
What our students say*
- If you have the opportunity to take part in this course – do it. It will fundamentally change your view on how your work as a research scientist can make a difference in the real world outside your lab (Konstantin Kuhne, PhD, The Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf)
- Very interactive course with a non-traditional approach. The course reflects the reality of translational medicine: getting a lot of people with different backgrounds to work together as a team (Miriam Ayuso, Postdoc, University of Antwerp)
- My expectations to the course were very high, and they were fulfilled (Sandra Heckers, PhD, Hannover Medical School)
- It was a difficult decision to leave the lab for 5 days but it absolutely worth it (Kevin Ferreira, PhD Student, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research)
*The TMex Winter school 2019 builds on the experience of the C-COMEND and ENLIGHT-TEN courses on translational research and medicine development which in 2016, 2017 & 2018 delivered three highly valued courses: View 2016 programme | View 2017 programme |View 2018 programme |View additional Testimonials
Hotel Well and Come (5 min walking distance from Palau Macaya)
We have reserved a block of rooms at the Hotel Well and Come at a discounted rate starting from 105,- per night. Reserve your room by contacting the hotel via email@example.com (mentioning TMex course).
- Hotel Senator* (30 min by Metro; 88,60€/day for single room, incl breakfast)
- Hotel Residencia Erasmus Gracia* (20 min walking distance or by metro; 52,60€/day for single room incl breakfast)
*Please note that you will have to pay a deposit of 20€ that will be refunded at the end of the stay
There are many cheap hostels in the vicinity of the Palau Macaya with single or shared rooms. The following 3 are at 5 min walking distance
- Hostal Felipe 2 (starting from €160 for 4 nights)
- Primavera hostel (69€ for single room shared bath room)
- Yeah hostel (approximately €400,- for 4 nights in double room)