Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, as well as being a hospital, is one of the most important, internationally recognised, orthopaedic research centres.
Established in 1896, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli has been a fundamental reference point for the technological and clinical development of orthopaedics for more than 100 years; with a continuous commitment in research and innovation for improving patients’ quality of life.
The institute is simultaneously involved in care and research. In fact, the very high level of care offered is achieved by transferring the results of an intense scientific research work into clinical practice. This dual approach allows the Institute to have a comprehensive vision of all pathologies being studied, and requires its staff to undergo a continuous education and training program. By doing this, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli has been able to become a cutting edge institution in scientific research and healthcare.
In 1981, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli was conferred the juridical status of Research Hospital (Istituto di Ricerca e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, IRCCS), which is a prestigious national recognition of the work done and of its importance at international level. Since 2009, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli is also part of a High technology network in the Emilia-Romagna region (Rete dell’Alta Tecnologia della Regione Emilia-Romagna, Tecnopolo) with its RIT department (Research, Innovation & Technology) including 6 laboratories specialised in technological transfer and research applied to industry.
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli’s research by numbers:
- 4500 square meters of research laboratories.
- 1111 points of Impact Factor in 2015: An average of 300 scientific papers per year in the fields of reconstructive prosthetic surgery, computer aided medicine, regenerative medicine, orthopaedic oncology, orthopaedic medical pathology, general orthopaedics and traumatology (average IF of 10,28 per researcher).
- 158 multidisciplinary researchers in the following specialisations: Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Pharmacology, Physics, Physiotherapy, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine, Laboratory Techniques, Veterinary and many others.
- 52 patents protecting 26 inventions developed between 1999 and 2016 in the pharmaceutical, biomedical and clinical informatics fields (see a showcase of our patents on http://www.ior.it/ricerca-eHYPERLINK “http://www.ior.it/”-innovazione/vetrina-brevetti).
- 15 research laboratories (9 for clinical research and 6 for the Tecnopolo).
- 6 lines of research covering all areas of the musculoskeletal apparatus physiology: Musculoskeletal oncology; Reconstructive prosthetic surgery, Computer aided medicine; Musculoskeletal regenerative medicine; General orthopaedics and traumatology; Orthopaedic medical pathology.
- 1 Innovative Technology Platform for Tissue Engineering, Theranostic and Oncology, The Rizzoli-Sicilia Department