The Institute of Biomedical Research of A Coruña (INIBIC) is a Health Research Institute accredited by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness since March of 2015. The research groups of the University of A Coruña are added to the capacities and resources of the Xerencia de Gestión Integrada de A Coruña. The University Hospital Complex of A Coruña, integrated in the Xerence of Integrated Management of A Coruña, constitutes the nucleus of the Institution.
The Institute R&D&I activity is focused in six thematic areas with 26 research groups:
- Ageing, Inflammation and Regenerative Medicine
- Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases
- Neuroscience, Oncology and Hematology
- Genetics, Microbiology and Molecular Medicine
- Health Technologies, Biomedical Informatics and Telemedicine
- Population Health and Health Care
The institute also includes transversal support units such as the experimental surgery unit, the technical training centre, 3D simulation & impression, the clinical research and clinical trials unit, the clinical epidemiology and biostatistics unit, the bio-bank, and the platforms on proteomics, genomics and histomorphology.
The Profesor Novoa Santos Foundation is a non-profit organisation, is in charge of the administrative, financial and HR support of INIBIC, acting as a transfer office.