The Biomedical Research Institute of Murcia (IMIB) was established in 2011, as a result of an agreement between the Regional Ministry of Health, the Health Service of Murcia, the Foundation for Healthcare Training and Research of the Murcia Region, the Regional Ministry of Business and Universities and the University of Murcia. The IMIB was accredited at the national level by the Carlos III Health Institute (ISCIII) as a Health Research Institute of excellence on January 15, 2015.
The research activity of the institute is organised in seven thematic areas:
- Haematology and clinical experimental oncology. Clinical genetics
- Cardiovascular and Respiratory Diseases
- Digestive, endocrine and metabolic diseases
- Neurosciences and sensorial organs
- Epidemiology, Public Health and Health Services
- Immunology, microbiology and infectious diseases
- Biotechnology. Health Applications in Biosciences
As the main goal, the scientific areas of the IMIB aim to obtain research resources to train a new generation of scientists and to attract scientific excellence improving research production and transfer of knowledge to the patients.
The institute presents different central core facilities to offer specialized technical and scientific support in biomedical and translational research in complex cases or lack of resources. These services include advanced equipment dedicated to imaging, biobanking, genomics, bioinformatics, clean room for cell therapy or pathology among others, as well as support for clinical trials.