Principal Researcher position in the cancer program at i3S
|Date||07 May 2020|
1. The meeting of the Board of Directors of IBMC, deliberated on the 3rd April 2020 to open an international selection tender for 1 vacancy Principal Researcher to perform duties of scientific research in the scientific areaof the i3S, Cancer, under a work contract with non-fixed term under the Portuguese Labour Law in order to perform duties, as researcher within the project with the reference UIDP/04293/2020, by Portuguese funds through FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia/Ministério da Ciência, Tecnologia e Ensino Superior.
2. Applicable Legislation – Decree-Law no. 57/2016 of 29 August, amended by Law 57/2017 of 19 July, which approved the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC),
– Portuguese Labour Law
– Regulatory Decree Nr 11-A / 2017, of 29th December.
3. Pursuant to article 13 of RJEC, the tender selection panel shall be formed by:
- Monica Sousa (presidente)
- Paula Tamagnini
- Claudio Sunkel
- António Jacinto (CEDOC)
4.Workplace shall be at i3S, Rua Alfredo Allen, 208, Porto.
5.Monthly remuneration: Gross monthly Remuneration is in accordance with the initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to Principal Researcher (3601.03 euros). The contracts will have a maximum duration of 6 (six) years.
6. Any national, foreign and stateless candidate(s) who hold a doctorate degree in the area(s) identified in each position and a scientific and professional curriculum whose profile is suited for the activity to be performed can submit their applications. If the doctorate degree was awarded from a foreign higher education institution, said degree must comply with the provisions of Decree- Law no. 66/2018 of 16 August, and all formalities established therein must be complied with at the application deadline.
7. The general tender admission requirements are:
The applicants should:
- have a PhD in Life Sciences, Health, Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or related areas for more than 5 years,
- have a scientific curriculum of relevance in the area to which they compete,
- have experience in leadership of research teams and demonstration of scientific autonomy,
- namely original and autonomous contributions in articles published in specialized scientific journals,
- have experience in leadership of research projects, demonstrated ability to attract competitive funding,
- have experience in supervision or co-supervision of PhD students, concluded or ongoing,
- have experience of participation in research in an international context,
- demonstrated ability to contribute significantly to the objectives of the i3S Integrative Programs.
Specific criteria: demonstrated experience in the fields of mitotic dysfunction and aneuploidy, aging and age-related diseases.
8. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, selection is to be made based on candidate scientific and curricular career evaluation.
9. Scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on relevance, quality and upto-datedness:
- of scientific, technological or cultural production in the last five years, deemed most relevant by the candidate;
- of research activities, applied or based on practical work, developed in the last five years, deemed most impactful by the candidate;
- of knowledge extension and dissemination activities developed in the last five years, namely under the scope of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, deemed most relevant by the candidate.
10. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious
illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
11. Evaluation criteria are the following:
The assessment of the CV of the candidates, in particular scientific merit and research capacity, shall be made according to the following criteria:
a) Detailed CV (70%):
- List of scientific publications to the area of interest (10%).
- Participation in research projects (10%).
- Experience in research relevant to the i3S Program that intend to integrate (40%).
- PhD student supervision experience (10%).
b) Declaration of interests indicating the motivation for the area of research where the application fits as well as a detailed description of the research project that intends to develop (20%)
c) Interview for the top three ranked candidates, following the application of the previous criteria (10%)
12. Candidate final classification system shall be given based on a scale 0-100.
13. The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria, with no abstentions allowed.
14. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed and shall include a summary of all occurrences of said meeting, as well as of all votes casted by the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
15. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare a sorted list of approved candidates and respective classification.
16. Panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
17. Application formalization:
17.1. Candidates shall submit their application filling in the required information and supporting documentation, as well as the declaration of interest in English to the President of the Jury with the identification of the position, full name, address, email and a phone contact in digital support, in PDF format, from the 5th May to the 19 th May 2020.
17.2 Applications shall include all supported documents encompassed by section 6 and 7 for tender admission, namely:
- Certificate or diploma copy;
- Curriculum vitae, detailed and structured pursuant to sections 9 and 11;
- Declaration of interest indicating the motivation for the research area where the application is placed as well as a detailed description of the research project that intends to develop in the next 6 years (max 5 pages) the five most relevant publications;
- Other documentation relevant for the evaluation of qualifications in a related scientific area; at the link: http://www.ibmc.up.pt/gestaocandidaturas/index.php?codigo=UIDP_2020_Cancer
18. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
19. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
20. Both admitted and excluded candidate list and final classification list shall be published in the website of the Institute (www.ibmc.up.pt) and the candidates
shall be notified by email.
After publication, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from the application deadline, published also at the Institutes websites.
21. This tender is exclusively destined to fill this specify vacancy and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said vacancy.
22. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: IBMC, INEB and IPATIMUP actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
23. Pursuant to Decree-Law no. 29/2001 of 3 February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes
any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honor, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication/expression means to be
used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
24. The panel has approved this announcement in meeting held on 04/05/2020.