Business Development Manager
|Workplace||Coordination & Support Office of EATRIS ERIC at the VU University Medical Center|
|Date||18 June 2018|
|Location||Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
|Hours||32-40 hours per week|
Performing business development for EATRIS, the permanent European infrastructure for translational medicine research
EATRIS is a European academic research infrastructure in translational medicine, established in 2014. The mission of EATRIS is to utilize cutting edge technologies and expertise to improve translation of scientific results into new therapies and diagnostics. We do this by identifying tools and technologies that can support drug and diagnostic development. One of our major strategies to fulfill our mission is to facilitate industry-academic collaborations using these facilities. Our 88 research institutions in 12 EU countries provide capacity and expertise to support research requests.
The Business Development Manager serves as a market connector within EATRIS, using a wide range of activities to scout external leads and obtain insightful market intelligence. From this intelligence, key internal and external contacts are developed toward enduring relationships. This network is continuously engaged to find potential matches between internal research interests and external commercial needs. This position requires broad insight about current and emerging activities in drug discovery, the current landscape in personalized medicine R&D, diagnostics and devices, as well as clinical development strategies. In addition to explicit knowledge about the life science industry, this position relies upon an individual who possesses an equal mixture of business intuition, strategic insights, curiosity about drug development, and an intense drive to develop new business.
The Business Development Manager will report to EATRIS Director of Operations. He or she will work closely with the Industry Partnering Specialist and the science and operational teams, as well as with National Coordinators from EATRIS countries and the researchers from EATRIS research institutes.
- ‘Matchmaking’: managing outside partners’ requests by identifying research questions from outside parties (‘demand’) with capacity and expertise in internal research and clinical capabilities (‘supply’)
- Acting as a primary point of contact for external partners, from initial contact, matchmaking, relationship building, through development of work plan together with responsible Scientific Programme Manager
- Supporting nationally-based EATRIS coordinators in their outreach function to ensure high quality representation at national level; perform joint marketing activities
- Generating tangible benefits for EATRIS institutes, research funding, intellectual property exploitation and scientific publications
- Forming a strong bond with EATRIS researchers to actively cultivate exchange of new research ideas and capacity
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- An education at a graduate academic level (PhD) is preferred. A broad scientific education with experience in research or clinical care settings seen as a plus, as is an MBA and/or relevant experience in a life science business setting
- Curiosity about translational research, and drug screening, discovery and development. For this BD position a background in immune-oncology and/or advanced therapies is a plus
- Insight into current areas of oncology and immunology drug discovery and strategic insights that support pursuit of collaboration
- Excellent communication in written and spoken English
- Maintaining the highest standards of business professionalism and ethics, and respect for researchers and patients as the focus of our work and attention
Salary and benefits
Competitive remuneration package, depending on experience, secondment via EATRIS institute is possible. The position is for 32-40 hours per week.
Send your letter of intention and CV by 5th July 2018 to Lisa Williams: email@example.com
For further information feel free to contact us on +31 20 4441573