5-day ‘Translational Medicine Explained’ (TMex) course
|Date & Time||November 11-15, 2019|
|Location||Palau Macaya (Barcelona)|
The TMex Winter School consists of an introductory e learning (~12 hours student investment time) followed by a 5-day face-to-face workshop. The course is intended for PhD students in the second half of their PhD and early postdocs who are involved in biomedical research.
The course is kindly supported by La Caxia Foundation and the Vall d’Hebron Research Institute (VHIR) and will be hosted in one of Barcelona’s great Catalan Modernisme gems: the Palau Macaya.
First come, first serve. Please submit your application documents here which will be reviewed by a selection committee. We will let you know whether you have been accepted within 14 days of your application. There are only 30 seats, so we recommend applying early. The registration will close on June 1st 2019.
The fee of 450 Euro includes the 5-day course, catering during the course, one dinner and the e-learning. An Early Bird fee of 400 Euro applies for the first 7 applicants.
- Bob Harris, Professor Immunotherapy, Karolinska
- Keith Williams, Director, KW Drug Developments
- Mike Hardman, Independent (formerly AstraZeneca)
- Toni Andreu and Anton Ussi, Directors EATRIS
- Joaquin Sáez Peñataro, Clinical Pharmacologist and Spanish correspondent for ECRIN
The TMex winter school builds on the experience of the C-COMEND courses on translational research and medicine development which in 2016, 2017 and 2018 delivered three highly valued courses. This is what the students said:
“It was great to get such a detailed overview of translational medicine from all those different perspectives. For me meeting a patient and hearing stories form patient’s families were the best part of the course.” – Lea-Isabell Schwarze
“If you have the opportunity to take part in this course – do it. It will fundamentally change your view on how your work as a research scientist can make a difference in the real world outside your lab.” – Konstantin Kuhne
“Very interactive course with a non-traditional approach. The course reflects the reality of translational medicine: getting a lot of people with different backgrounds to work together as a team.” – Miriam Ayuso
“My expectations to the course were very high, and they were fulfilled.” – Sandra Heckers
“It was a difficult decision to leave the lab for 5 days but it absolutely worth it.” – Kevin Ferreira
UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE COURSE PARTICIPANTS WILL…
- have gained a holistic understanding of the medicines development process
- have met and discussed with experts from academia and pharma at eye level
- have heard and discussed real-world stories presented by those who were involved
- have learned about newest approaches in the medicines development sciences
- have networked with peers from different research areas and different countries
Hotel Well and Come (5 min walking distance from Palau Macaya)
We have reserved a block of rooms at the Hotel Well and Come at a discounted rate starting from 105,- per night. Reserve your room by contacting the hotel via firstname.lastname@example.org (mentioning TMex course).
- Hotel Senator* (30 min by Metro; 88,60€/day for single room, incl breakfast)
- Hotel Residencia Erasmus Gracia* (20 min walking distance or by metro; 52,60€/day for single room incl breakfast)
*Please note that you will have to pay a deposit of 20€ that will be refunded at the end of the stay
There are many cheap hostels in the vicinity of the Palau Macaya with single or shared rooms. The following 3 are at 5 min walking distance